Monday, June 8, 2009

ASEAN Scholarship Selection Test

So I went for the selection test on Saturday. Don't ask me why I applied for ASEAN scholarship. I have no idea. Initially, it was because my friend applied for it. So I just followed her and applied for it.. for fun. Then with anything I do, I asked my parents about it. They asked me to go for it. I'm not really thinking of going to Singapore, since if I continue with my plan I'll likely finish secondary school by next year. Anyway that's not the point of this. I'm about to pour out my experience at the test.

There were 3 tests in total. General ability test, Maths and English. And it was from 8am to 6:45pm, with an hour for lunch and another half hour for break. Pretty much the whole day. I went there, thinking that the test hours were long. General ability test... 3 hours 45 minutes. It didn't sound right. And it wasn't right. Turned out that we had to go in groups to take the test, since they had limited booklets which could not be photocopied for copyright reasons I believe. So we only spent 20mins on the test, plus about 15-20mins for briefing and getting ready and stuff. So what did we do in the rest 3 hours? Half an hour was used for briefing in what the scolarship was all about. The remaining 2 and a half hours? Doing nothing. Waiting. What a waste of time. And I did not bring any books nor anything to do. This general ability test marks my 3rd IQ test taken in the past year. The first was WISC-IV, second was an abridged version of WISC-IV by UKM, third is this general ability test. Sort of like the MENSA test, the raven style.

We were dismissed for lunch quite punctually, at 11:45am and we came back at 12:40pm. They said the test would begin at 12:45pm. Well it didn't. It began at around 1:15pm I think. And ended at 3:15pm. We were supposed to go for a break at 3:15pm. But no, the collecting of test papers took like about an hour, and we were only free to go at 4:10pm. The break was then shortened to 10 minutes and we went back for our English paper at 4:20pm. An hour and a half for paper 1, half hour for paper 2. The papers were finished at 7:08pm. And with the collecting of test papers again, the whole selection test only ended at 7:30pm. That was 45mins later than the scheduled time. Way to go.

The main reason for all the dragging of time was the lack of staff members. There were like around 1000 people in the hall and there were only 9 staff members. Sigh.

Side note: Anyone aged 9-15 who wants to take the UKM IQ test can go here: http://permatapintar.com.my It's free of charge, and if you get through all 3 rounds, you'll be selected to go for a camp for gifted children. UKM should totally pay me for advertising. But well as an NAGCM member, I should advertise it. More about NAGCM here: http://nagcm.org

1 Comments:

Blogger Miiao Yunzi✖×┼`™ said...

my god.-.-
wat a waste of time..
no wonder bro there kept on saying not enough time @_@

June 9, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home