Friday, July 2, 2010

Blow Wind Blow

It's now the end of term 3 week 1 and I summarise this week as being horrendous in general. There were still some bright and shiny gems this week but unfortunately they all turned dull too early, or rather they couldn't fight against the overwhelmimg dullness that clouded over them and were outnumbered.

The bright and shiny gems of the week were my results. Before the month long June holidays, we had our mid year exams. The last day of our exams was the last day of school, so of course we had to wait till after the school holidays to know our results, which is this week, term 3 week 1. To be honest, I had no expectations for my results because it is the first major exam I'm having at this school. I like to give myself space, to see how well or badly I did, so that I will know what to do the next time. So this mid year exam was rather like an experiment to me, but not without some pressure as I scored quite well in the common test. Anyway I am very pleased with my performance for the mid year exam. I topped six out of eight subjects in my class. But then again, my class is not the best class, so I did not top the subjects in the entire cohort. Still, that was enough to keep me happy for one and a half day.

What happened next came so fast that I couldn't believe it could all have happened right after I received super good news. Firstly, the weather this week has been quite unpleasant. It rained on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, which means more than half the week It is in fact raining right now as I am typing this post. But rain cools the weather, so I guess it balances out the plus and minus, which of course is the inconvenience of walking in the rain and getting wet.

Secondly, the issue of changing seats. I can't say it was totally a surprise, as my teacher did say she had to split us (me and my table partner) up if our results turned out to be bad. As it happens, my results were splendid, I was top in class so I thought ok we're safe now. But no! She said the disparity of our results are too huge. We cannot sit together. We have different study methods. Uh what was that about? How does she know we have different study methods when she has never seen us study? It was obviously just an excuse. Fine with that, she wanted to change our place. What's bugging me is why can't she just say that we are very noisy and disrupting the class? She said 5 subject teachers including her, think that we should split up. Right that's nearly all of my teachers. I highly think that is not true.

Originally, my teacher moved my table partner away, but she couldn't find a suitable place for her without many many objections, from both my partner and the person she was supposed to change with. So I was changed away instead, and another friend in our group of four, to a place which is at the last row, which means I have one less person to talk to. And there's no one on my left side, which is another less person to talk to. And I just don't quite fancy my new table partner and the people around me. Sigh I guess I'll just have to put up with them as it is unlikely that I get to change back to my original place, which brings me to my next point.

On the day after we got back our English paper, I saw that I had written the wrong format for my situational writing, which never never occurs. It is the first that I've got the wrong format, which is the one that my teacher taught. So I started discussing all my teacher's flaws with my friends, who all agree with me. Unfortunately she heard us. She didn't tell me that she heard me, she told my friend she heard her, which obviously means she heard me too. Well whatever. I can hardly care that she heard us. At least now she knows how much we hate her. But I would rather have told her directly, or she tell me directly that she heard me. She doesn't seem to be showing any signs that she heard me, she still addresses me, not that she does that a lot. I can't seem to help but speculate that, maybe the whole issue of changing place is just because she heard me. That's why she changed our seats, as revenge or whatever.

Anyway she's not the only teacher I don't like. In fact, I think I don't like all of my current teachers except humanities teacher and I'm indifferent about my physics teacher. We just changed all of our science subject teachers. The irony is we are a triple science class. What are we now with not so good teachers for all sciences? It's also been said that we are the worst class in terms of academics amongst all four triple science classes. Then why are they changing our teachers? It's not that they're giving us better teachers. How do they expect us to perform when we have lousy teachers? They should stop giving the best class the best teachers. They are already the best class. A not so good teacher will not harm them because they can manage on their own. This is usually what happens in Malaysia but in Singapore, no. The best class gets the best teachers, the worst class gets the worst teachers. Yeah well like they have given up hope on us. So there's nothing we can do but buck up on our own.

All my teachers are now teaching from the textbook. All my previous teachers never used the textbook. It's like opposite ends of the pole. We are all resenting this style of them right now. It will take some getting used to. However by the time we've got used to it, our previous teachers would have returned to us, except the physics teacher, who has left for good, and we will have to revert back to our old style again. I appeal to the school, can you please stop playing blow wind blow with us? We're not having fun, I don't know if the teachers are having fun. And it's not like the teachers are super nice as a person too. They're not very, I guess. One has no sense of humour, one is overly sasrcastic, the other is.. I don't know. In addition to that, we now have a co form teacher who does not teach us any subjects. Why the need for his presence then? And we have dialogue sessions with our form teacher and co form teacher. I can't imagine having a dialogue with someone who does not teach us at all. Well good thing I already had a dialogue session early in the year, so I hope I won't have to be down for another dialogue session. Another thing, the only classes with co form teachers are my class, N and S. N and S are the last class of double science. My class is the last class (unofficially) of triple science. It's like equating us to the last class of the whole cohort, who usually have lots of problems and are hard to manage. How humiliating and unfair it is.

I guess if I want to continue my performance for the end of year exam, I have to build up momentum on my own. Sad case. I didn't come to Singapore to get an education like this, or to have different teachers push us around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home