Wednesday, March 10, 2010

OAC Day 1

I just came back from OAC, my school's outdoor adventure camp. It was so much fun. This was the first time I've ever attended a camp like this. Sure, I've attended many camps before, but mostly we went around visiting places and not do extreme activities! I had never done any of the activities we did during OAC, which made it all the more so much fun.

We went to school as usual in the morning and had a session of ice breaker before departing to the camp site. It wasn't much of an ice breaker since we have been classmates for at least two months now and roughly knew each other already, if not a lot. And my classmates weren't all that in to playing the games, so the responses from them were sort of cold.

After a short briefing, we left for the camp site, which was MOE Labrador Adventure Camp. It was the least of what I had expected. In my mind, I had imagined it to be a place surrounded by forests, has a lot of mosquitoes and ants and what not, very run down, no beds, the usual cliche camp site. But it was way better than that. There were very little trees, almost no mosquitoes since I didn't get bitten at all, little ants, and beds for us to sleep in, though the mattress was hard. It was quite a good place really.

We proceeded with some small talks, settling into our dorms, a bit of campfire performance practice, then it was lunch time. Food was very much anticipated among us campers. We were all starving, and shall know that it would be the same for the next coming days. We were not allowed to bring our own food. They said they would feed us well -rolls eyes- as well as no handphone, no mp3, whatever, you know. Which got us bored. Anyway lunch was nasi lemak, with not much of lemak taste but still acceptable. Considered a luxury after going through all other meals.

Moving on to the next activity, we packed up our stuff, like umbrella, insect repellant, sunblock etc for our wilderness activity. We had to walk oh so far to reach the Labrador Nature Reserve. The walking part was more tiring than the actual activities itself, plus the sun was glaring hot. There were actually 10 stations for the whole activity but we only managed to do 2 full ones, 1 forfeited, and 1 half way done when time ran out. On our way walking, we suddenly all had this weird urge of singing nursery rhymes. I think I started it first xD. It was thrilling to be singing out at the sea breeze. My team mates complied by me too, so I didn't feel like I was singing alone. When we got the 2nd clue, we read and reread, and thought that we were at the right place. Our leader told us that no, we were not at the right place but my friend said it doesn't matter. We shall not listen to them and just continue walking our way. What cheek! It was funny though.

There was one station here that we were required to make a raft out of twigs. The raft had to have a sail and my bandana was used as a sail. It fell onto the cliff as they were throwing the raft down. The raft broke free of the string. We had no way to save the raft, but my bandana was quite important to be saved and the leaders spent more than half an hour saving it. Poor leaders. At 3:45pm, a slight drizzle started and we promptly went back to the camp site, dragging our tired body along.

A quick shower, where we only had like 3 minuts for each person and people yelling at you to hurry up each time, then it was outdoor cooking. I quite anticipated this, since again, I've never tried it before. We cooked pineapple rice. I was in charge of the fire. As I was the only one in my group who knew how to operate the lighter, and they didn't understand that the metal roller was scorching, and they kept asking me to quickly light up everything, I burnt my fingers then. Ouch. That made my first visit to the first aid room. Dinner was not much left when I went to eat. There was only rice and pineapple left, with very little chicken. I didn't get to eat the scrambled eggs which I heard was very tasty. Pity. Had a headache too, from the heat of the sun and the fire worsen it.

At night was campfire preparation, where there was a fire drill midway. I had a feeling that they did the fire drill on purpose so as to get us to assemble quickly. After that was sleep time. I slept quite soundly and only realized the leaders and instructors coming in to check on us once in the whole night. Which was a good thing, as I was quite tired on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home