Friday, March 19, 2010

OAC Day 2 (part two)

After a tiring morning, well not really, most people I suppose had their energy eaten up by fear. Anyway I was hungry, with the breakfast which was insufficient. But lunch was a packet of instant noodle. Great. Even at home, one packet is not enough for me. So not surprising that I was again hungry after lunch. I started to wonder, was this an adventure camp or a famine camp? Probably a combination of both.

We had low elements and flying elements left. Not too bad, they didn't require much energy, or so I thought. Low elements were quite fun. We had activities that included sending balls across an 'acid pit', balancing a see-saw, walking some whatever thing and climbing a wall. This was one time when we got to spend some more time with our classmates, solving problems together and being mad together. You know how much I enjoy being active.

I was exhausted after low elements. Not because of the activities, but because of the amount I was talking. Bad thing really. Next was rock climbing. At first glance, the rock wall looked really really threatening. I didn't even dare to go try the first rock wall. That was the first and only time I did not have the courage to try out something throughout OAC. Anyway the leader said everyone had to climb at least once, so I went to the other rock wall to climb, which looked milder and non threatening. Did I ever discover how much fun rock climbing was! Yes it was tiring, hanging halfway there, while you feel like giving up. But giving up is not in my nature. So I went on and on and on to the top. Didn't feel anything much about it. I just felt like I could continue climbing endlessly. And even after OAC, I still had the urge to climb things for quite some time, before time washed it away. After I climbed the rock wall, I turned to be an anchorman, where my finger's skin got peeled off from pressing down onto the harness too hard. Ouch. My third visit to the first aid room. Am I injury prone? Well unlikely I think. It got me worried I couldn't continue the other activities, having an injured finger. I was afraid I couldn't grip on anything. What if my grip slacked while on the zip line? It was one of the activities I anticipated the most. But as it turned out, all activities I anticipated were a let down, whereas the other activities where I didn't get my feelings all hyped about it, left me with immense satisfaction after doing them.

Finally, our last activity before camp fire, was flying elements. These were a disappointment. Well not really. The zip line or flying fox, whatever it is called, was a huge disappointment. I thought it would be quite fun, but realized it was the most boring activity in the whole camp. You just jump down, end of story. Boring, no? I shouted some lines, which made it a little interesting but still, it was boring. Abseiling on the other hand, was fun fun fun. This is my second favourite activity, after rock climbing. Do you notice the similarity between these two activities? Yes you climb. One up, and the other down. I wonder what's with me and climbing? So what did I like about abseiling, besides the fact that I got to climb walls? During abseiling, I had the sensation that my life was tied onto someone else's and I could do nothing about it besides letting myself fall, fall and fall... and I kept banging into the wall. Oh I failed it miserably, but I still liked the activity on a whole.

End of the day's activity. Lucky we had no more outdoor cooking session and could eat as much as we wanted for dinner. Not that the food was very appetizing, so I still didn't eat quite so much, even though Mr Chue asked me to eat up. But I just couldn't, much as the hostel food was even worse than this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home