Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Justified Accusation?

It's the third day of school and generally it's alright. I got elected to be in the class committee as sports rep. I thought that was one good way to get belonged in the class. It's been quite useful. Classes are not very interesting as of now, since I already know most of the materials in chemistry, physics, additional mathematics and elementary mathematics. English might not be much of a problem, just got to get used to their style. Same as social studies. That is quite a new subject to me so I won't pass judgment on it yet.

What is upsetting me is my form teacher. Oh and on first impression, all teachers looked ok. But I think on second thoughts, I'm already eliminating most of the teachers from my like list or whatever of that sort. So what did my form teacher do? Yesterday she called me and pronounced my name in the Chinese way. She took it like it was a China Chinese's name. I corrected her. She called my name with the correct pronunciation later. That was yesterday.

Fast forward to today. This morning in the bus, my friend told me that my form teacher talked to her and asked how to pronounce my name. I thought it was nothing. So I went to school. Fast forward to her period. I went to get a form from her. And that was when she told me she asked the head of chinese department teacher on how to pronounce my name and she agreed with my teacher, the way of pronouncing it. I again told her that no, my name is not pronounced in the Chinese way. And she said I'll call her and ask her in front of you.

Right I'm generally sensitive, and I know that. But seriously? What she just did was like an insult. A disgrace. Total disrespect. She's accusing me of pronouncing my own name wrongly. Who is she to tell which is the right pronunciation or not? It's not in the dictionary. It isn't standardized in the whole world how to pronounce it. That's why I forgive people when they pronounce it wrongly. My dad gave me the name. It's supposed to be unique to me. Only my dad can say which is the right pronunciation. But my biggest problem is I deem it quite disrespectful that she could not accept the way I told her how to pronounce my name, and had to ask others how to pronounce my name. That's why I'm so upset.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home